Monday, April 29, 2013

A to Z Challenge: Y

April A to Z Challenge
Day 25: Y
4/29/13

"Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too." Will Smith (Brainyquote)

What was the last thing that you did for you?
I think in our society it is too easy to forget about ourselves (granted, there are selfish individuals too), especially women (my opinion). We do-do-do-do-do and so forth. Something I have learned though is that we desperately need to remember ourselves, take time to do something for you and hold no guilt or negative thoughts for taking care of yourself. 
For the first several years of my sons life I was his primary caretaker. He is severely handicapped and requires 24/7 care. It was too easy to loose myself in the chaos of that first year. I believe as mother's, generally, we are almost obsessive about doing for our children. But, as I have said before - we are human 'beings' not human 'doings'. Take time to enjoy life - this is what God ultimately wants for us - to enjoy life! 
One of the hardest things I had to do once my ex-husband and I separated was letting go. I had done everything and taken care of our son for so long I was terrified to give-up that control. I had to let go and let God handle things. It was exactly what was needed because now I could focus on myself. 
If you have stress in your life, make sure you seek help, because it leads to health concerns that could be detrimental to your life. It took me ten years (that's how stubborn I am) to learn that we need tools in order to deal with life. I learned a lot through cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Finding the right therapist is probably as difficult as finding that perfect-fit pair of jeans. You want someone that you feel comfortable talking to, who is qualified and can help you. I have had appointments with different therapists who I could not 'click' with. So, I moved on and tried again - don't give up on yourself - ever!
Homework: tonight, do something for yourself - take deep breaths - and give your brain some down time to relax. Until next time or the next... dream ~ K.E.Nowinsky

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Please leave a comment. Thank you!