Tuesday, April 22, 2014

S is for Silence of the Lambs

About the Book

The Silence of the Lambs was written by Thomas Harris and published in 1981. It was the #1 National Bestseller and in 1988 received the Bram Stoker Award. This introduces us to Clarice Starling, an FBI trainee and her first assignment involves the search for a serial murderer nicknamed "Buffalo Bill." In an attempt to find the murderer Clarice "must visit a man confined to a high-security facility for the criminally insane and interview him. That man, Dr. Hannibal Lecter, is a former psychiatrist with unusual tastes and an intense curiosity about the darker corners of the mind. His intimate understanding of the killer and of Clarice herself from the core of [the book] an unforgettable classic of suspense fiction." (Bantam Dell Publishing Group, 2007)

About the Movie

I've seen this movie probably a dozen times, and each time there are certain scenes that I still find myself holding my breath. Even when I was looking through the list of book to movie adaptations, when I glanced over The Silence of the Lambs, I still held my breath. It's an intense movie that will take you into the deep-dark pits of the psychological realms of crazy town. Jody Foster portrays Clarice, the FBI trainee that gets tangled in Hannibal Lecters (Anthony Hopkins) webbed psychosis. There are so many memorable scenes in this movie. Two of my favorites is the very last scene when the evil psychiatrist is getting off the plane and being stalked... and the scene that makes me draw my breath every time is the intense scene when Clarice arrives at a home and then the lights go out; that entire scene is crazy (crazy intense and good!) If you haven't seen it - watch it.


Links

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Please leave a comment. Thank you!