Tuesday, April 8, 2014

G is for Great Expectations

About the Book

Great Expectations, written by the iconic Charles Dickens. Originally in a chronicle publication; who knew he was a blogger! The publications course ran from 1860 - 1861, then it was published in three volumes. It is a coming of age story that follows Pip, from very humble beginnings, to the man he becomes. The novel depicts the relationship between society and man. It includes a wonderful cast of great characters and plot twists. I love this story because it helps us to understand that life isn't a fairy tale. We might expect a certain outcome for our life, but usually it turns out totally different.

About the Movie

The first movie depiction that I watched starred Ethan Hawke in 1998 with Gwenyth Paltrow; I wasn't impressed. I have tried to watch a couple other adaptions since then as well to no avail. Recently, I have found a version that I think finally gives Dickens the props he deserves within his classic novel. BBC aired Great Expectations in 2011, and thank goodness that they did. Then again, I haven't watched an adaption by BBC that I haven't loved. The mini series showcases the different characters and gives you a better insight into their psychosomatic tendencies. I really enjoyed watching this! It's full of great actors such as Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham, Ray Winstone as the terrifying but endearing Magwich, and Douglas Booth as Pip (who is also in the just released Noah).



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Please leave a comment. Thank you!