Wednesday, April 2, 2014

B is for Breaking Dawn

April A to Z Challenge - Day 2

Author Stephenie Meyer
I wasn't included in the fandom-faze when Twilight became a best seller. I was introduced into the Twilight craze when I joined my sister and her friend when they went to watch the first movie. It was shortly after my husband and I separated and were getting divorced. I didn't have much hope in love at that point in my life. But, thank you Stephenie Meyers for rejuvenating that hope in Edward. Yes, I'm team Edward. This was a fabulous series to follow and be part of the book releases and movie release fun. 

After watching the first movie I was immediately intrigued and started reading the books. My favorite, by far, was Breaking Dawn. The fourth (and sadly, last) in the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyers. There is speculation (Midnight Sun) and such that there might be a continuation. That would be awesome, but as of date, have not read or heard anything to contradict Meyers claim that she will no longer be continuing the Twilight series.

Meyers holding Breaking Dawn
When I first read Breaking Dawn, I didn't have a night nurse for my son (two nights in a row) and thought it was the perfect opportunity to do a straight-through read. I was going to have to be up for the next two days and nights, so - why not. Let me just say, by the time I got to go to bed on night 3 I was hallucinating. Anyway, I'm not a fast reader, even though I try to be. I wanted to devour this book and did the best I could. I've now read Breaking Dawn at least four times. Once when it first came out, another time a few months afterward, and then twice more before each release of the Breaking Dawn movies.

Mr. & Mrs. Cullen - Wedding
The hardcover version of Breaking Dawn has over 756 pages. How in the world could you convert that many pages into one movie? The answer was simple - create two movies. Both movies, while I don't own them yet, are easily movies that I could watch over-and-over. Usually I am not a 'girly-girl', but for Breaking Dawn Part 1 I was a giggly girl for Bella and Edwards wedding. It was absolutely beautiful, having never had an actual wedding myself, my heart sank deeply watching the scenes. One of the most anticipated scenes was obviously the honeymoon, and it was done tastefully. I loved how they were faithful to the book and didn't squirm away from what Bella endured through her struggles after their return and up until the time Edward had to step in and take care of her. I remember seeing the movie for the first time in the theaters and the chills that coursed through my body when Bella's eyes opened at the end. Awesome.

Eternal Love - Edward & Bella Cullen


Nothing could prepare me for Breaking Dawn Part 2, it was highly anticipated and didn't fail to deliver. The only problem is, that you don't really want it to end. My sister and I went to the midnight premiere showing and were among the people originally shocked during the fight sequence. Luckily, we were able to breath and enjoy the rest of the movie like civilized individuals. I think the second part did a great job capturing the intimacy within the new lives of the Cullen's and those around them. The movie, along with the book, gave closure for the series and left a satisfied feeling, but also a sad one for the closing curtain of it all. My favorite part of the book - and one of my favorite scenes from the movie - was during the fight against the Volturi, when Bella was going up against Jane (hehehe). 


Links


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Please leave a comment. Thank you!