Tuesday, July 8, 2014

SPOTLIGHT & INTERVIEW

AVA'S WISHES - By Karen Pokras

Genre - Romance
Sub Genre - Sweet Romance
Intended Audience - Adult



About Ava's Wishes

Ava Haines had big plans for her life. Her short-term golas included passing Statistics (on the third try), graduating college on time, and securing a job in the art gallery on Main Street. Her long-term goal was to one day own an art gallery of her very own. Oh sure, she would some day like to fall in love and get married, but all of that was secondary to making sure her other goals were in line. Fellow student Max Wallis and esteemed photographer Thomas Malloy were just minor distractions she was more than capable of handling. She was entitled to a little fun once in a while, right? However, as reality take a tumble, Ava begins to wonder if she really can manage it all. Will all her wishes come true?


About Karen Pokras

Karen Pokras writes adult contemporary and middle grade fiction under the names Karen Pokras and Karen Pokras Toz. Her books have won several awards including two Readers' Favorite Book Awards, the Grand Prize in the Purple Dragonfly Book Awards, as well as placing first for two Global E-Book Awards for Pre-Teen Literature. Karen is a member of the Society of the Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI). For children, her books include the Nate Rocks series, Millicent Marie is Not My Name, and Pie and Other Brilliant Ideas. For adult readers, Karen's books include Chasing Invisible, and her newly released, Whispered Wishes series. A native of Connecticut, Karen now lives outside of Philadelphia with her family.


INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR KAREN POKRAS


Tell us about your latest release, Ava's Wishes - Book One in the Whispered Wishes Series.

Ava's Wishes is about a senior in college named Ava Haines. She's very ambitious and hopes to work in (and one day own) an art gallery after graduation. In order of importance, the things that matter most to Ava are her two sisters, her parents, her career goals, and her friends. Of lease importance on her list are guys. Of course all that changes when she meets two very interesting and very different men - Max Wallis and Thomas Malloy. In Book One, we follow Ava's path through her senior year to find out if all her wishes can come true. 

What inspired you to write this book?

Originally, I started writing a book about three sisters, the oldest of whom was in her late thirties. That was Ava, and the book was called Woven Wishes. A few months into writing, my editor put a call out for romance short stories for an anthology. I got the idea to write the prequel to Woven Wishes, giving the back story of a young Ava in college. The story was just 10,000 words. In the end, I decided not to submit the short story, but instead, to turn that story into a full-length novel called Ava's Wishes. The stories that follow: Holly's Wishes and Tessa's Wishes, are each about Ava's younger sister and are also prequels of sorts to where they are in the final book Woven Wishes. The series then ends with the original story, Woven Wishes.

Are you working on Anything new?

I've got a lot going on at once. I'm in the middle of final edits for Holly's Wishes (releasing July 1st), I'm getting ready to send Tessa's Wishes out to my editor (releasing August 1st), I'm working on finishing touches for Woven Wishes (releasing this fall), and I've decided to add a holiday novella about one of the side characters called Merry Wishes (releasing December 2014). Plus, I"m getting ready to start working n a new Sci-Fi/Fantasy series novel with author Kristy K. James.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I've been writing for a few years now, but I only just recently started answering "I'm a writer" to people when they ask me what I do. It feels awesome to be able to say those words. I don't know why I finally decided it was okay to start calling myself a writer - nothing has really changed from when I first started writing. I guess, I finally felt both comfortable and proud of my accomplishments.

Do people judge a book by its cover? Who makes yours?

I absolutely think people judge books by their covers, and I adore mine! All of my Whispered Wishes covers were made by the fabulously talented Najla Qamber

 As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Not a writer! I honestly hated writing. I was a numbers geek - still am. My earliest career aspiration was to have my own variety show like Marie Osmond (dating myself). But since I could neither sing nor dance, I moved on to math teacher (because of the numbers thing), fashion merchandiser (because I thought I would get free designer clothes), and agent for The Securities Exchange Commission (to wipe out all the curruption on Wall Street after seeing the movie with the same name). I wound up doing none of those things.
 
Anything additional you want to share with the readers?

I'd just like to thank all the readers who buy indie.
Your support means everything to us!
THANK YOU!

Connecting...


Buy Books

1 comment:

  1. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Please leave a comment. Thank you!